The living and dining room are similar enough that I thought we might tackle these two rooms at the same time. What do you think? Still have more in you after that thorough cleaning of the kitchen?
- Declutter all the surfaces
- Clean the ceiling fan and dust the corners and edges of the ceiling
- Wipe down the baseboards
- Dust the wall hangings, and the wall itself
- Touch up any paint that needs attention
- Clean the furniture. Vacuum soft furniture, spot clean any fabric stains, condition leather and polish any wood
- Repair any gauges or damages in wood surfaces. Use a wax crayon made for furniture repair, and try rubbing a little mayo on water stains
- Wipe down doorknobs and light switches with a Clorox wipe or all-purpose cleaner
- Go through the furniture with storage. Do a decent purge of items you haven’t touched recently.
- Sort through entertainment collections (movies, music, books, magazines, toys) with an eye for what you and your family enjoy NOW, not a reflection of what you enjoyed in the past, but won’t revisit
- Go through the items on display, and carefully clean and dust collection
- Dust bookshelves thoroughly, removing books and dusting the shelf underneath and behind
- Polish the silver
- Clean the lighting fixtures and lamp shades
- Replace any burned out light bulbs
- Dust all the electronics, including wiping down all the wires, from unit to plug
- Wash the curtains or blinds
- Wash the windows
- Clean the fireplace (well… if you’re not still using it every day, like some people are!). If you’re still using it, or, even if you’re not, change your mantlescape / decorations to celebrate spring
- Change the dining room tablecloth to something fresh for spring
- Shake out any rugs or welcome mats in these spaces
- Clean the floor (sweep, mop, vacuum or shampoo, as appropriate). Don’t forget to move the furniture!
Cleaning these spaces can make a big difference in how the whole family enjoys the common spaces in your home. And it’s a lot easier to keep things tidy after they’ve been thoroughly cleaned like this! There’s great hope everyone can help KEEP it clean for a while, right!
Oh, and my favorite finish task for cleaning the dining room? Set the table with a fresh bouquet of springy flowers!