It’s Week 4 of the Spring Cleaning Chapter of the Clever Girl Organizing Challenge. Each week, we’ll focus on activities that are going to help us get our homes in order, and to address those spaces that we know benefit from deep cleaning and proper maintenance. Our real estate, whether we rent or own, is typically the biggest investment we have. This chapter is all about making sure we’re taking care of our investment so that it can take care of us!
I also know that we all have different styles and approaches when it comes to projects like these, so I’ve set it up that we will have options. Each week, we have 2 options:
- A SPACE to focus on (Kitchen, bathroom, living room, dining room, master bedroom, other bedrooms, home office/command center, outdoor spaces and miscellaneous)
- An ACTIVITY that you can do throughout the house (dusting, floor cleaning, windows, etc.) if you decided you’re going to want to do just one activity all week.
And, if you WANT to look at a master list of all the items, so you can manage your own efforts as the 8 weeks go forward, that was is emailed to you as a separate link each week.
This week’s assignment:
Now that we are done with the Master Bedroom, we’re moving to the other bedrooms (kids rooms, guest rooms, etc.). By the way — home office comes later, so if that’s part of your bedroom, you can put that on hold for now. If you did the Resolutions Chapter, you’ve probably done a fair amount of decluttering in this space already. If you didn’t or if you need a refresher, this is a great week to focus on that.
What is on our list for these bedrooms? Here’s a list of some of the tasks for you to take on (and you should customize your list to fit your space):
- Clean baseboards
- Dust molding and ceiling corners
- Wash windows and sills
- Clean window treatments
- Dust or vacuum exhaust fan fans
- Clean light fixtures and ceiling fans
- Wipe light bulbs
- Wipe all the light switches
- Wipe all the door knobs
- Clean scuff marks and fingerprints from walls, doors and door frames
- Clean your bed and mattress, wash mattress pad
- Wash linens (may need dry cleaning or laundromat-sized machine for comforters/quilts)
- Wash pillows
- Organize closet and drawers
- Go through toys, games, books, and entertainment items that may live (or have landed) in the room
- Clean out nightstand
- Clean under the bed
- Clean off top of dressers
- Clean off kid’s desk area
- Dust all shelving, items on shelves, and wall hangings
- Remove the items that don’t permanently live in here!
This week, we’re focusing on CLOTHES throughout the house. For at least YOUR wardrobe, if not for anyone else’s wardrobe for whom you have total authority to edit 🙂 :
- Read my post on “5 Rules for Reviewing Your Wardrobe” to help with decision-making and approach!
- Review your wardrobe either by category (shirts, pants, dresses, shoes, underwear, etc.) or by zone (dresser drawers, closet areas, etc.) as you move through and consider all your in-room clothing. If you have clothes in other areas (packed in storage but not touched in a long time, in a cedar closet, in another closet, etc.) tackle those, as well.
- If you’re close to packing up your winter wardrobe, consider letting go of items you just didn’t wear at all this year!
Back to it! Check in with the Facebook Group for tips, motivation, support, and celebrations!